- About Us
- Our Work
- Get Legal Help
- Get Involved
- Impact Advocacy
- Support GBLS
Access to Justice
Every day, GBLS attorneys and paralegals provide critical legal advice and representation to low-income individuals. In addition, thousands of other poor families and individuals benefit from the systemic advocacy GBLS carries out on behalf of its clients. A few examples include:
- Increased safety for battered women and their children thanks to improved laws governing custody, visitation, and restraining orders.
- Improved access to public transportation for thousands of individuals with disabilities, the result of a class action settlement with the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority in April 2006 in which GBLS represented the plaintiffs.
- Improved protection for victims of political and gender-based persecution seeking asylum in the U.S.
- Increased hourly wages for low-wage workers as a result of the Boston's Living Wage Ordinance and Massachusetts' increased minimum wage.
- Improvement of the unemployment system for low-wage workers, non-English speaking claimants, and domestic violence survivors.
- Long term preservation of close to 3,000 units of affordable housing for the poor, elderly, and disabled, which were going to be converted to market-rate rents.
Despite all GBLS' extraordinary work, it is not enough. Every day, three our of five clients with legitimate claims are turned away due to a lack of staffing resources. These people, with meritorious legal claims, have nowhere else to turn to seek justice.