Coronavirus Family Law Information
GBLS Services During the Coronavirus
FAMILY LAW/DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
The Family Law Unit is still accepting new cases and referrals for victims and survivors of domestic violence with contested custody matters in Probate and Family Court (Suffolk, Middlesex and Norfolk counties). Community partners are encouraged to continue to call for consultation regarding their clients.
• Complete an intake on-line; or
• Call to complete an intake interview at:
ERLI (Eastern Region Legal Intake) Helpline.
617- 603-1700 or 1-800-342-LAWS (5297)
Call center hours during the pandemic are:
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: 9AM-12PM
Tuesday & Thursday: 12:30PM-3:30PM
If you need information or have questions about your legal rights and options if you are moving out of state to escape violence or crime, you can call our Relocation Counseling Project at 617-603-1557 and leave a message. Someone will return your call within 48 hours. Please note that this is not an emergency hotline and we do not provide financial assistance to relocate.
Here is some information about the courts and your family law case or restraining order case
The Probate and Family Courts are open to the public in very limited circumstances. Most hearings are being held by telephone or video-conferencing (Zoom).
The Probate and Family Court will accept new filings (complaints, motions, etc.) by first-class mail. You can call the Court Help Line at 833-91COURT (833-912-6878). Staff on the help line can give you information about your existing case or how to file a new case.
IF YOU ARE IN IMMINENT DANGER, PLEASE DIAL 9-1-1.
- You can also call SafeLink if you are in need of emergency services, including legal advocacy, and shelter and other services. That number is 877-785-2020. Advocates are available 24-7.
To make a referral
- call 617-603-1803 and leave a message. Let us know what agency you are calling from. Someone will call you back, or
- complete an on-line intake